Last night, President Obama gave his Farewell Address, which left everyone silently wiping away tears, whether they were in the audience or at home watching on TV. The President beautifully told the story of what he learned and experienced while in office, how proud he was of the American people.
He stressed that though it might seem like we move backwards with every two steps forward, it's the people's dedication to a better America, one that is more tolerant and compassionate, that he finds amazing. He stressed the importance of people not giving up hope for a better future, and urges everyone to come together in the face of differences in order to make America a better nation.
Here are seven of the most beautiful quotes from his Farewell Address that will keep us going for the next four years. Thank you, Barry.
1. “Change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged, and come together to demand it.”
2. “Because of you, by almost every measure, America is a better, stronger place than it was when we started.”
3. “Our youth and drive, our diversity and openness, our boundless capacity for risk and reinvention mean that the future should be ours.”
4. "Going forward, we must uphold laws against discrimination...But laws alone won’t be enough. Hearts must change."
5. "Ultimately, that’s what our democracy demands. It needs you. Not just when there’s an election, not just when your own narrow interest is at stake, but over the full span of a lifetime."
6. "I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change – but in yours."
7. “Yes We Can. Yes We Did. Yes We Can.”
You Might Also Like