Get to know Spanish singer Rosalía Vila Tobella, who has made noise around the globe by reviving the flamenco sound. The artist has been credited with taking a modern approach to the traditional rhythm by mixing it with R&B, pop and electronic sounds.
7 Facts About The Talented Rosalia
1. The Spanish singer and songwriter is from Sant Esteve Sesrovires, Catalonia, Spain.
2. In 2018, after releasing three singles, Rosalía released her new project entitled "El Mal Querer."
3. Her video for “Malamente,” has more than 50 million views and is a global phenomenon.
4. Rosalía has worked with 'Sky,' the Colombian producer behind reggaetón artist J. Balvin; the results of that session, was a flirtatious song called “Brillo,”that ended up on the album "Vibras."
5. She attended Barcelona’s Catalunya College of Music, where she studied flamenco as well as music production.
6. The artist plays with the flamenco-pop fusion and for the new generation the rhythm is something fresh.
“Young people right now don’t connect flamenco to something old, they see it as something cool,” she said to Pitchfork. “Nobody else has this music. It’s a style that only exists here, and it’s an important part of our culture, part of our very way of expressing ourselves.”
7. According to the New York Times, movie director Pedro Almodóvar previously cast Rosalía alongside Penélope Cruz in his coming film “Dolor y Gloria,” or “Pain and Glory,” and he wrote in an email that the flamenco singer had “breathtaking charisma.”
“Rosalía is the complete opposite of an artist designed by the industry,” he said. She is “authentic and original, and, although she is now working with Sony, It’s her who decides every single detail.”