Catriona Gray from the Philippines claimed the Miss Universe crown for 2018 on Sunday night. The 24-year-old model and singer took out the top prize, wowing the judges and the audience with her beauty.
Miss South Africa Tamaryn Green was the first runner-up and Miss Venezuela Sthefany Gutiérrez was the second runner-up.
Miss Universe 2018 is... PHILIPPINES! pic.twitter.com/r2BkN8JpXh— Miss Universe (@MissUniverse) December 17, 2018
Catriona said in her final question that her experience working in the slums of Tondo, Manila, taught her to "look in the beauty of the children and be grateful," she added, "and I will bring this aspect as a Miss Universe to see situations with a silver lining and to assess where I could give something, where I could provide something as a spokesperson."
Meet Catriona Gray, The New Miss Universe 2018
1. Gray's father is Australian, and she was born and grew up in Cairns, Australia.
2. She studied at the Berklee College of Music in Boston.
View this post on Instagram
When our rays of light come together, we shine brighter and stronger. When we move together, we achieve more. On this 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day, I draw inspiration from the millions of volunteers who have come before me and pledge my commitment to use my voice in the fight to end AIDS. 🇵🇭👊 @loveyourself.ph @theredwhistle #XXXWAD #WorldAIDSDay #KissAIDSGoodbye
3. She is a blogger! And she loves traveling around the world and writes about her explorations all over her blog, Cat'elle.
4. She wore red because she was inspired by a volcano near her home and she also shared that when she was 13, her mom said she had a dream that Catriona would win Miss Universe in a red dress.
View this post on Instagram
When I was 13, my mum told me "Honey, I dreamt of you winning @missuniverse in a red dress." At that time I thought nothing of it, and today my mother's dream came true. ✨ Where do I even begin? Lord God, I lift everything up to you - to glorify and honour you. 🙏 Philippines 🇵🇭 what an amazing honor it has been to carry your name across my chest and to embody you in all aspects. I may now carry the sash of Miss Universe, but I'll forever be your Miss Philippines. ❤️💙💛 To my team @carlosbuendiajr @bragaisjojo @mitagray @binibiningnicolecordoves @jololuarca @justine.aliman19 @ton_lao @vheecostyle @francischee_ @styledbypatrickhenry @visionerickson @ardelpresentacion @mackycombe @harleybarleyyy @jellyeugenio @hairbybrentsales @memayfrancisco @mimsqiu @momoisupe @tesserajewelry @maktumang @jearsond @theaiveeclinic @empiredentallounge @jed_jimenez I wouldn't have been able to do any of this with all your time, effort and love 💛 #MissUniverse @missuniverse
5. Catriona worked with children in the slums of Manila and advocated for the legalization of medical marijuana.