There’s a whole lot of people counting on Punxsutawney Phil to bring some good news about the weather this weekend.
Groundhog Day is a popular tradition celebrated on Feb. 2 in the US and Canada every year. Legend says that if Phil sees his shadow on Groundhog Day, a “second winter” with six more weeks of “bad weather” will come, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. If he doesn’t see his shadow, winter will end and spring will begin, legend says.
Here are 10 fun facts about Punxsutawney Phil:
1. When Phil isn't forecasting, he lives in a Punxsutawney Zoo at with his wife, Phyllis.
2. There's only been one Punxsutawney Phil and that he'll be 132 years old on Feb. 2. He has been in charge of telling us how long winter will wear on (and, conversely, when spring will finally bloom) since 1887.
3. Punxsutawney Phil weighs about 20 pounds and is 22 inches long.
4. Punxsutawney Phil's forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle.
5. The Inner Circle currently has 15 members (16 if you count Phil himself)
6. Phil speaks a special language—it's called Groundhogese—which is what he uses to communicate his shadow-finding to the Inner Circle President.
7. Punxsutawney Phil was named after King Phillip. Prior to being called Phil, he was called Br’er Groundhog.
View this post on Instagram
Phil's Art Show Saturday, February 2nd 1 1 a.m. At the Celebration Tent There are only 10 pieces of Art available for purchase. If you are interested in purchasing a piece, be present at the event and fill out a registration. 10 people will be randomly selected to purchase the art. All people must be present at the time of selection in order to purchase a piece of art. Winners will pick they piece of art they wish to purchase in the order in which their names were pulled. These are limited editions and original works of art from Punxsutawney Phil! The paint used for this project was non-toxic, child safe, and veterinarian approved. #groundhogday #punxsutawneyphil #ghd2019 #philart #artist #fingerpaint 🐾🎩